Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Seems simple to me!


Clearly blogging is not my thing, but here's an update for the blog!

Little Miss Rayla is an amazing ray of sunshine! I couldn't have asked for an easier little kid. Actually, she's convinced me that I should never have another child, because she's the most perfect child in the world and I couldn't possibly be this lucky twice.

That's not true. I really don't feel that anything about our family is “special”. Dan and I are just normal people with normal jobs. Our house is a mess, our cars always are late for their oil changes and we stress about our mortgage payments, just like everyone else. Rayla is just a typical 3 year old from an Eastern European orphanage. She has significant delays in her development, which she would not have had she been born here.

Back to my point. I look at my baby girl and see perfection! I love everything about her. I see all the things she can do and all the potential she has. I actually have to think really hard to come up with a list of negatives, because I just don't see them. What's my point... my point is that she's my kid and everyone feels this way about their own kids. We are not unique.

Most people I know, outside of the international adoption family, think we did something “special.” Nope, nothing special here. I'm uncomfortable with the “wow, you have big hearts,” or “you are doing gods work,” or “that's amazing, I could never do that” comments. I think most people in this “family” are, and that's why we tend to stick together, because we don't have to endure living on the pedestal.
Quite frankly, inside the IA family, we are down right boring. We are a married couple with 1 child, who only has DS, no other major health issues, who came out of a “baby house” with only minimal malnutrition and neglect. On the spectrum of adoptions, we are the least impressive!

So let me sum this up... we are normal boring people, who did nothing special, and as a result, we are the proudest parents ever of the most perfect baby girl in the world!
My question is... why doesn't everybody do this??? If every normal boring family just adopted 1 kid, there wouldn't be any more amazing babies dying in orphanages. Every family would then have the most perfect child in the world in their very own home! Seems simple to me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment